Social media is hard. Each social media platform has its own algorithm, a puzzle to put together. So what’s the best way for us musicians to use the top ones?

image via Marketing Land

First, let me say that I’m still learning. But so far, I’ve learned some pretty cool stuff. So here are some general tips to help you succeed on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter as a musician.

How To Succeed On Facebook

Images and videos win, almost every time. Post eye-catching photos and well-done videos (tip: people like to see faces) .

My top five posts in 2017 have been videos, the highest post reaching 4,417 people organically and getting 1,386 unique viewers.

Videos win.

Generally, Facebook likes when you post content that keeps people on Facebook. Not to say that the external links you post won’t do well, but Facebook loves itself better than whatever website you’re trying to get people to go to.

How To Succeed On Instagram

Aside from photos that pop, the key to Instagram (which is slowly becoming Facebook, IMO) is #hashtags. People will look through, say, the #singersongwriter hashtag to look for enjoyable posts and talented artists.

For example, I started a little Instagram account called The Songwriter’s Place to promote good songwriters. After every single one of my posts (along with a butt load of hashtags), I get at least three new followers.

Without fail.

I should note, about 95% of those followers are real and actually care about the content. The other 5% are people who hope I’ll follow them back, or accounts called something like “Insta_gram_followers_9097” (obviously fake).

Three new followers per post doesn’t sound like a lot, but imagine posting multiple times a day. Yeah, do the math. Use hashtags.

How To Succeed On Twitter

Twitter is like public group texting. People who are funny, very opinionated, or say ridiculous things do really well on Twitter.

That’s why I don’t get very much buzz on my tweets. But I’m learning.

I know that if you tweet about trending topics, you’re much more likely to get engagement from people who don’t follow you. So if you can somehow combine a trending topic with the music industry or your music, you’re golden.

Also, Twitter is a great way to pat other musicians on the back and let them pat you on the back by mentioning each other (see above tweet).

RELATED: Bandcamp is social media for musicians

Closing Thoughts

A general tip for all three of these: just be yourself. Don’t fake it or people will see through you.

Try the 70-20-10 rule: post quality content related to the music industry 70% of the time, promote other artists 20% of the time, and post about yourself 10% of the time. See if that helps.

In the end, it just takes practice, research, trial-and-error, and more practice…

Stay motivated, manage your time, and move toward your picture of success — grab the One-Thing-A-Day chart for FREE…

2 thoughts on “Social Media For Musicians: How To Succeed

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.